Pages

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Meanwhile, religiosity in the Middle East

http://www.barnabasfund.org/Said-Musas-handwritten-letter.html


Yesterday I wrote about a teenager who stood up for his faith and his conscience (though there is debate among Christians about the wisdom and actual piety of his decision) and his biggest consequence, outside of the bad PR? He had to forfeit a high school match. Meanwhile, in other parts of the world we see stories about men like Said Musa, a convert to Christianity in (still US-occupied, mind you) Afghanistan. He is a physician for the local Red Cross and has a family, but for months now he has been stuck in prison, without a lawyer and with much torture from his fellow inmates and prison guards. He stands to be executed in the near future, all because he will not renounce his stance that Jesus Christ is Lord and Son of God.


His response, in a letter sent to the US: "I also agree with the sacrifice [of] my life in public, I will tell the faith ... and other believers will take courage and be strong in their faith."


What a Pauline response! I desire to be touched by the gospel as this man, who can so strongly echo Philippians 1:12-14 I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel, so that it has become known throughout the whole imperial guard and to all the rest that my imprisonment is for Christ. And most of the brothers, having become confident in the Lord by my imprisonment, are much more bold to speak the word without fear.

0 comments:

Post a Comment